In a world of computers and cell phones, paper continues to play an important role in the daily lives of billions of people. Here are just a few large-scale examples of how NewPage paper is used:
- Direct mail
- Sunday newspaper inserts
- Bottle and can labels
- Food packaging
- Store displays
NewPage embraces new technologies to keep in step with new advancements in printing and paper uses. For example, we supply paper for digital, print-on-demand books. Printing technology developed by industry leaders like HP and Kodak uses superior quality NewPage digital papers to produce personalized copies in the exact quantities ordered. Books can be individualized with greetings, messages and personal photos, at a cost and convenience previously unknown.
Paper and the Environment
Paper is better for the environment than you might think. Here are some important facts:
- 57 percent of the paper consumed in the United States was recovered for recycling in 2008 versus 18 percent of the three million tons of electronic waste in the United States that was recycled.
- 62 trillion spam e-mails are sent every year, contributing greenhouse gases equivalent to two billion gallons of gasoline.
- Private landowners plant about four million trees each day (1.7 million from the forest community) – five trees each year for every man, woman and child in America.
- There are 12,000,000 more acres of U.S. forestland today than 20 years ago.
Printing and the Modern World
You can see that, with paper’s importance, printing can’t be far behind. Direct mail is just one example of how print is central to today’s economy. Over 80 percent of households open direct mail, and over 90 percent prefer printed products to an online version of the same thing. Print and online connect too, because over half of those who opened printed materials mailed to them went online for more information. In the digital age, print is here to stay.
You can learn much more about modern printing from the NewPage printing education resource, Ed. Ed provides more than a dozen in-depth articles on a variety of topics like prepress, inks, printing techniques and enhancing color printing. You can also find Ed on Facebook.
NewPage Contributes to Sustainability
We strive to make sustainable practices a part of everything we do:
- Responsibly managing and sourcing natural resources
- Operating cost-effectively utilizing best practices
- Producing dependable products that are transported efficiently
- Collaborating with our customers to improve and grow our businesses
- Giving back to the communities in which we operate
Learn more about our practices in our Sustainable Development Report.